[kata-dev] [Announcement] Time to move to 2.0 development

Xu Wang xu at hyper.sh
Wed Jul 15 00:33:36 UTC 2020

Hello Kata developers,

In the Arch Committee meeting this week, we decided to move the feature development to 2.0 eventually.

Where we are
-----------------

According to issue kata-containers/kata-containers#247, we have done:

- developing flow and documentation on how to test/develop on 2.0
- artifacts for 2.0
- ci to validate changes for 2.0-dev branch

Having discussed with Bergwolf, Fabiano, Eric, Ariel, and other attendees, we decided to move development
works to 2.0 branch.

What you should do?
--------------------------

In Short, move feature development to 2.0 and 1.x is still open for feature backports
- Bugfixes can still be sent to 1.x and forward port to 2.0
- New features and enhancements must happen on 2.0 first unless they are 1.x specific

In 2.0 development, we have consolidated most of the code into repo kata-containers/kata-containers,
including the docs:

> https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/tree/2.0-dev/docs

We hope they could help you move to 2.0 development easier if you have not yet.

When will 2.0 release?

The roadmap of 2.0 release is listed on the wiki:

> https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/wiki/Kata-Containers-2.0-Roadmap

We plan to announce the 2.0 stable release by Berlin Summit later year.

Thank you guys and enjoy hacking!

Xu

--
Xu Wang (@gnawux)