[kata-dev] Firecracker deprecation of API call

Catangiu, Adrian Costin acatan at amazon.com
Wed Jan 22 11:49:43 UTC 2020

Hi kata,

I’m sending this email as a heads-up that we plan to deprecate the “BlockDeviceRescan” API action<https://github.com/firecracker-microvm/firecracker/blob/ebc15f2eacaa4c26782a05f8e0cebe4c47512553/src/api_server/swagger/firecracker.yaml#L455> in the next Firecracker release.

The block device rescan already happens as part of patching a block device with a new host file path, so this API call is redundant.

Looking at your code, I see that you’re only using it here<https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/blob/c3629d37c412a97bd8704ea28d63ca373537b2b5/virtcontainers/fc.go#L932> after patching a drive path. You should simply remove that block of code since Firecracker already internally initiates a rescan on the patched block device if there is a guest running.

Please let me know if you have other use-cases for the `BlockDeviceRescan` action that I have missed, or any other concerns.

Thanks,
Adrian.

Amazon Development Center (Romania) S.R.L. registered office: 27A Sf. Lazar Street, UBC5, floor 2, Iasi, Iasi County, 700045, Romania. Registered in Romania. Registration number J22/2621/2005.