[kata-dev] Virtio-fs as upper layer for overlayfs

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Mon Jan 6 19:58:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:35 PM Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 05:27:05PM +0000, Ernst, Eric wrote:
>
> [CC linux-unionfs at vger.kernel.org and amir]
>
> > Hi Miklos,
> >
> > One of the popular use cases for Kata Containers is running docker-in-docker.  That is, a container image is run which in turn will make use of a container runtime to do a container build.
> >
> > When combined with virtio-fs, we end up with a configuration like:
> > xfs/ext4 -> overlayfs -> virtio-fs -> overlayfs
> >
> > As discussed in [1], per overlayfs spec:
> > "The upper filesystem will normally be writable and if it is it must support the creation of trusted.* extended attributes, and must provide valid d_type in readdir responses, so NFS is not suitable."
> >

> I don't know exaactly the reasons why NFS is not supported as upper. Are
> above only two reasons? These might work with virtio-fs depending on
> underlying filesystem. If yes, should we check for these properties
> at mount time (instead of relying on dentry flags only,
> ovl_dentry_remote()).
>
> I feel there is more to it.

NFS also has these automount points, that we currently can't cope with
in overlayfs.  And there's revalidation, which we reject on upper
simply because overlayfs currently doesn't call ->revalidate() on
upper.   Not that we would not be able to, it's just something that
probably needs some thought.

Virtio-fs does not yet have the magic automount thing (which would be
useful to resolve inode number conflicts), but it does have
revalidate. In the virtio-fs case, not calling ->revalidate() should
not be a problem, so it's safe to try out this configuration by adding
a hack to disable the remote check in case of a virtio-fs upper.

Thanks,
Miklos