[kata-dev] Arch Committee Election: Q&A period open!

Xu Wang xu at hyper.sh
Fri Feb 14 02:23:19 UTC 2020

Thank you, Graham.

>   Q. What is the most important thing (be it an integration, a particular feature, adopting a policy, etc) Kata Containers needs to achieve in the next year and how should we get there?

As a community, we need more participants from end-users. To get there, we should work on three
aspects: reducing overhead, improving isolation, and helping new users:

More and more people agree with isolation is important, however, they still need to pay too much
to migrate to kata containers. I think we should work on the following aspects:

- Reducing memory overhead. People like isolation, but they don't want to pay for it.
  - `rust-agent` is a good starting point, and we could reduce the heap memory consumption down
      to less than 800KB in our initial tests with rust-agent+ttrpc.
  - `cloud-hypervisor` has been integrated with kata, and it is a lightweight, modularized, and more
     open project for contributors. We shall work with it and have a kata profile of it.
- Being more flexible. One critique on Kata is that we are not as flexible as a "real" container.
  - We are working on virtio-mem, @teawater from our team has prepared patches and documents
    for it, and he is working on virtio-mem for cloud-hypervisor as well. I am looking forward to
    landing it in kata in months.

On the other hand, we should enhance the isolation of Kata, which is our initial goal.

- Enable users to move all the image operations in the guest sandbox for better isolation.
  In a discussion during the last PTG, the developers from Alibaba and IBM are all working on it.
- It is possible to introduce TEE technologies from Intel/AMD/IBM/ARM chips, which provide
  "bi-direction isolation", i.e. protecting workloads from the infra providers.

Another important thing is providing more user practice in the community, which may help new
adopters.

- Baidu's Kata deployment won the Superuser Award in the last summit and has a whitepaper
  published. We are working on Alibaba and Ant Financial Kata clusters and will publish more
  document and testing data about them. And we still need more from all the contributors.
- The marketing team of Kata is planning on setting up neutral and open performance metrics
  test for Kata, which will help the users to know whether or when Kata is fit for them.
- And we shall attend conferences and meetups on infra and cloud-native to promote Kata as well.

Thank you guys for the contributions, and let's work together for a better year.

Cheers!

Xu