[kata-dev] kata in non-baremetal environments

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 10:38:27 UTC 2020

* Ralf Haferkamp (rhafer at suse.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that nowadays a large chunk of k8s deployments being run in
> virtualized enviroments (i.e. some form of public/private IaaS system).
> So using kata-containers in such an enviroment means that the VMs
> spawned by kata are running nested inside the VMs of the k8s cluster.
>
> Given that nested virtualization adds quite a bit of overhead (in
> certain cases I believe) and that it still seems to be considered
> experimental [0]. Is that really the way to go or is kata-containers
> really more just aiming for baremetal k8s deployments?

That page is a bit out of date; I'd say that nesting is finally getting
usable.
Indeed if you follow the bugzilla links on there, the RH bz 1076294
got duped in December to bz 1738741 which was marked verified a few
weeks back.

While I'd still suggest some caution with nesting, if you get all your
hypervisors in a line it does work now.

Testing of it varies a bit; e.g. there's quite a bit of kvm-on-kvm nest
testing; there's probably less testing on the various KVM under
other things nesting.

Dave

Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK