[kata-dev] gogo/protobuf issues

Xu Wang xu at hyper.sh
Wed Aug 12 02:21:37 UTC 2020

Looks like this affects ttrpc as well

https://github.com/containerd/ttrpc/issues/62

right?

Does this affect the go-binding only, Fabiano?

Xu
From:Fabiano Fidêncio <fidencio at redhat.com>
Send Time:2020年8月12日(星期三) 05:32
To:kata-dev <kata-dev at lists.katacontainers.io>
Subject:[kata-dev] gogo/protobuf issues

Bin Liu reported a "Test latest CRI-O"
(https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/pull/2775) issue, which is
linked to an issue that I reported on CRI-O a few weeks ago
(https://github.com/cri-o/cri-o/issues/3991). Turns out the same issue
affects containerd (https://github.com/containerd/ttrpc/issues/62).

My vague understanding of the issue is that due to an update done on
golang/protobuf package,  the one introducing its APIv2 is responsible
for generating messages which are now incompatible with the v1
package.

Considering the issue above, and the fact that gogo/protobuf is
looking for new ownership
(https://github.com/gogo/protobuf/issues/691), I think the best we can
do to deal with the unavoidable breakage is replace all the
gogo/protobuf usages on kata, containerd, and CRI-O by
golang/protobuf.

I'm not in the position to even measure how much work it'd be
required, but I know folks from Ant Fin are familiar with protobuf and
may be able to help with this.

On the CRI-O side, the gogo/protobuf issues are coming mostly from
vendored code, which I do believe that could be solved in one place
and both containerd & CRI-O would take advantage of the same fix.

Anyways, anyone interested on helping with this one?

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio