[kata-dev] Plan for organizing the kata issue backlog

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Tue Aug 11 09:08:10 UTC 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 18:21, Ariel Adam <aadam at redhat.com> wrote:

>    - Later on once we have finished with reviewing the issue backlog we
>    can then move on to decide on adding new labels (such as MVP) and
>    removing/joining old labels
>
> Regarding reviewing the labels, this should help explain the current
situation and summarise our current labels, hence if you're interested in
helping review the labels, please have a read:

https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/issues/2778

I think the standard set of GitHub labels are a little too minimal for a
project of this size and complexity. However, you could argue that our
current set of labels is too large :-) What we're aiming for I think is a
balance between intuitiveness and flexibility; in an ideal world those on
the Kata rota would be able to quickly categorise a new issue with a small
set of labels. That would pay dividends as we'd then be able to "data mine"
metrics based on the labels. As we start to use features like GitHub
actions more we could potentially auto-add labels (a good example being
adding a sizing to a PR ("size/huge" to "size/tiny") which could be
auto-derived by the CI based on LOC changed / cyclomatic complexity for
example).

Cheers,

James

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
<https://github.com/clearcontainers>
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.