[kata-dev] moby PRs for running DinD with kata

Peng Tao bergwolf at hyper.sh
Tue Sep 17 15:42:20 UTC 2019

Hi Kata developers/maintainers/AC members,

Since I cannot attend the AC meeting today, I want to bring to your
attention about two mody PRs([1] and [2]).

Akihiro Suda developed both of them as fixes for running DinD with
kata (aka, docker in kata). [1] is to provide a new docker security
option --privileged-without-host-devices, similar to the fix we had
with containerd [1]. And [2] is to simply fix the DinD entrypoint.sh
to remount sysfs in rw mode, and use a bunch of specific options to
tell docker to give proper permissions to DinD container.

While [2] is good enough to fix DinD with kata, I'm afraid there might
be other container images out there that require similar tweaks to
work. So I'd like to ask for your opinions on this. Do you think [2]
is good enough or is it better to persuade moby maintainers to go with
[1] instead?

Cheers,
Tao

- [1] https://github.com/moby/moby/pull/39702