[kata-dev] Elections for Kata Architecture Committee: Justin He

Justin He (Arm Technology China) Justin.He at arm.com
Thu Sep 12 08:35:05 UTC 2019

Hi All~

Kata-containers Architecture Committee Candidacy Declaration

Platform: Arm

Candidate: Justin He <Justin.He at arm.com>

I'm working for Arm Electronic Technology (Shanghai) Co.Ltd.
This candidacy is representing Arm company to be voted for one seat of the
Kata-container architecture committee.

Here is my pr
https://github.com/kata-containers/community/pull/121

My current role is Staff Engineering in the Open Source Software Group and I
am working on virtualization and container technology on the Arm
platform. I have more than 10 years of experience in low level Linux software
development, especially for linux kernel [1], DPDK on arm64 [2] and hardware
virtualization development including KVM and qemu [3].
[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=grep&q=Jia+he
[2] http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/log/?qt=author&q=Jia+He
[3] https://git.qemu.org/qemu.git/?p=qemu.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=jia+he

In recent years, our team started development on RunV project, one of the
predecessors to Kata-containers, to enable and enhance the multi-arch support.
Our focus areas included KVMtool support, performance profiling of the network
and storage devices for virtual machines, and we also worked on stability and
density improvements. For example, our team enabled the memory hotplug support,
vm template on Kata-containers project. As for virtio-fs support on arm64, we
fixed a lot issues on persistent memory and DAX support.

For these collaborations, there were public blogs announced at [4] and [5]
[4] https://blog.hyper.sh/arm_and_hyper.html
[5] https://community.arm.com/iot/b/blog/posts/arm-and-hyper-hq-will-push-runv-for-the-future-of-container-security.
We have met regularly with Hyper team to discuss the development issues and
solutions of the project.

For conference presentation, our team members once attended Denver 2019 summit
as speakers [4]:
https://www.openstack.org/videos/summits/denver-2019/kata-containers-on-arm-lets-talk-about-our-progress

Interests:
We believe Kata-containers is a fast developing project and that it
will have much broader applicability across different architectures and use
cases, especially within the emerging next-generation IoT and 5G era!  These
different use cases will generate new design requirements of the underlying
architecture and we believe strongly that good multi-architecture support will
be essential to position Kata-containers for broad adoption throughout the cloud
native ecosystem.

We look forward to driving these changes together, so the Kata-containers project
can reach its full potential!

Justin (Jia He)