[kata-dev] update on kata in fedora, and some questions

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 20:18:22 UTC 2019

On 9/11/19 6:33 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 09:10:45PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>
> Thanks for sharing your progress!
>
>> * agent-0001-*.patch: Make kata-agent.service run after
>> systemd-udev-settle.service. At one point in my experimenting I needed
>> this: kata would communicate with the agent, but networking in the guest
>> didn't seem to be set up yet, and configuring eth0 was failing. However
>> if I revert this now it doesn't seem to cause any failures. This may be
>> due to /etc/modules-load.d/kata-modules.conf loading the necessary bits
>> early enough, but that may still be race-y. I figured I'd mention it for
>> posterity.
>
> I hit the same issue when using a Fedora modular kernel, I think.
> kata-runtime is unhappy if kata-agent cannot respond with network
> configuration details.
>
>> * AGENT_INIT=no is the default, meaning /sbin/init == systemd, not
>> /sbin/init == kata-agent. Is that generally the preferred config? When I
>> was flailing around trying to get anything to work I tried
>> AGENT_INIT=yes but didn't get anywhere
>
> Could be monolithic (common with Kata) vs modular kernel issue.  Have
> all drivers loaded before kata-agent runs?

I didn't have any working config with the stock Fedora kernel when I was
trying AGENT_INIT=yes, driver loading was probably the root issue. I did
get a dracut config working, but it doesn't look like
BUILD_METHOD=dracut and AGENT_INIT=yes play well together, rootfs.sh
dracut overlay setup is hardcoded for systemd at the moment.

For the initial Fedora support I only plan to target systemd init,
AGENT_INIT=yes can be something additive to explore on top of that
initial base

Thanks,
Cole