[kata-dev] The week in Kata

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri May 24 17:03:56 UTC 2019

Yep, it's that time again.

# What landed?

A relatively quiet week this week with folks out at conferences and on
holidays. We still managed to land 47 PRs though. The high level summary is:

- We added a slew of new tests in the
https://github.com/kata-containers/tests repo.

- We've made a few tweaks to how existing tests run to make debugging CI
failures easier.

- We fixed the unit test code coverage reporting. This had silently broken
due to a nasty combination of factors so we are taking steps to avoid that
ever happening again.

- We fixed a number of issues with our packaging which is a complex beast!
  (https://github.com/kata-containers/packaging).

- We made a number of improvements to shutdown and "corner-case" system
behaviour.

- We started building Fedora 30 packages to allow you to install Kata
easily if you're running that version (
https://github.com/kata-containers/documentation/tree/master/install).

- We added a new CI document check: all documents must be referenced by
atleast one other document in the repo (with the main exception of the
top-level README). This guarantees all documents can be navigated to from
each repos top-level README. Adding the check also shook out a few document
link bugs (now fixed) and also uncovered a few docs I think we'd forgotten
we'd written!

# Don't miss

If you haven't already seen it, tal at Salvador's great article on how we
test Kata:

https://medium.com/kata-containers/kata-containers-testing-and-packaging-powered-by-the-cloud-b752de2ee471

# Fun Facts

## Fun fact 1

Rather than modifying the master config file
(/usr/share/defaults/kata-containers/configuration.toml), you can create a
custom configuration file as /etc/kata-containers/configuration.toml.

If you want to reset your environment back to using the pristine config
file, just delete /etc/kata-containers/configuration.toml.

## Fun fact 2

In addition to the CI scripts [1], did you know that the tests repo
contains a number of additional tools (for log parsing, metrics,
installation, commit checking, etc) that we use for testing?

- https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/tree/master/cmd

Cheers,

James

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/tests/tree/master/.ci
---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
<https://github.com/clearcontainers>
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.