[kata-dev] kata image types compared

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 08:02:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:42:17PM +0000, Venegas Munoz, Jose Carlos wrote:
> That is a good point.
>
> Working with current kata packages (in OBS) and with Lokesh from Fedora this not a very distro friendly process.
>
> In my mind remove systemd could simplify the rootfs creation, ideally features needed by the agent would be implemented there ( I know sometimes we just prefer to use an existing binary for that).
>
> I see the following  requirements  for rootfs creation point + packaging  limitations.
>
> - rootfs creation should work without network access
> - Not need to rely on a package manager (like populate a directory with dnf)
>
> To handle this we probably have two options:
>
> - Create roots with a tool like Dracut ( If somebody has some experience with it feel free to open an issue to talk about it)
> - Remove systemd depencies, just have as rootfs dependency: agent, ipables  <name other random binaries we need in the future).
>     - The binaries need to be static as requirement: with this rootfs creation is just copy binaries to a directory.
>     - If binaries are not static we can parse ldd output and copy the right libs to the rootfs directory.
>     - See https://github.com/kata-containers/osbuilder/issues/259 for more information about this.

I have CCed Lokesh for Fedora-specific requirements for Kata images:
https://github.com/kata-containers/documentation/wiki/Kata-images

Lokesh: Out of the various options for building Kata images (initramfs
vs disk image, systemd vs agent), which ones are friendliest for Fedora
packaging?

Is anyone in touch with Debian packagers who could provide input?

Stefan