[kata-dev] kata image types compared

Venegas Munoz, Jose Carlos jose.carlos.venegas.munoz at intel.com
Mon Mar 25 16:42:17 UTC 2019

That is a good point.

Working with current kata packages (in OBS) and with Lokesh from Fedora this not a very distro friendly process.

In my mind remove systemd could simplify the rootfs creation, ideally features needed by the agent would be implemented there ( I know sometimes we just prefer to use an existing binary for that).

I see the following  requirements  for rootfs creation point + packaging  limitations.

- rootfs creation should work without network access
- Not need to rely on a package manager (like populate a directory with dnf)

To handle this we probably have two options:

- Create roots with a tool like Dracut ( If somebody has some experience with it feel free to open an issue to talk about it)
- Remove systemd depencies, just have as rootfs dependency: agent, ipables  <name other random binaries we need in the future).
    - The binaries need to be static as requirement: with this rootfs creation is just copy binaries to a directory.
    - If binaries are not static we can parse ldd output and copy the right libs to the rootfs directory.
    - See https://github.com/kata-containers/osbuilder/issues/259 for more information about this.

-
Carlos