[kata-dev] kata image types compared

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri Mar 22 09:30:18 UTC 2019

Hi All,

As you probably know, it is possible to create a Kata Container using
either a rootfs image ("image=") or an initrd image ("initrd=") [1][2]. The
former uses systemd to launch the agent whilst the latter uses the agent as
the init daemon. Deciding which option is best is up to the user as they
both have pros and cons.

We are aware of a few changes recently that are making these two options
diverge slightly in terms of features (however we do have plans to "pull
that back" and minimise the differences). There is also ongoing debate
about the use of systemd for the rootfs images.

As these topics are related, we've created a wiki page to try to summarise
the above including advantages and disadvantages of each approach (image
compared with initrd, agent as init and systemd as init):

https://github.com/kata-containers/documentation/wiki/Kata-images

Please contribute to this page to allow us all to get the best possible
picture of use-cases, features, limitations and benefits of each option.

Cheers,

James

[1] -
https://github.com/kata-containers/documentation/blob/master/architecture.md#guest-image
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/osbuilder
<https://github.com/kata-containers/osbuilder#usage>

---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
<https://github.com/clearcontainers>
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.