[kata-dev] network implementation simplification for Kata

Ernst, Eric eric.ernst at intel.com
Tue Jun 11 19:57:14 UTC 2019

Hey cloudy-virt-buds –

We have a long standing PR from Manohar Castelino in the runtime repo, [1], which removes the bridge networking model.

In the bridge networking model, a bridge is created in the network namespace, and the veth is connected to the VM’s tap. This is the least performant and a bit more complex than necessary.  We recommend end-users utilize tc-filter (default) or macvtap.

Zhang Wei brought up the concern of whether end-users could be using bridge today.  I hope they aren’t, but am now considering whether this should be a 2.0 candidate, and whether this should be considered a breaking change.

Feedback?  I’d like input from other AC members here so we can make forward progress on this PR, and/or on 2.0 planning.

Thanks,
Eric

[1] - https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/pull/1214