[kata-dev] virtio-fs + VM Templating

Castelino, Manohar R manohar.r.castelino at intel.com
Wed Jun 5 17:30:43 UTC 2019

> It's very similar to the trick that NEMU uses for templating.
> With the x-ignore-shared-ram migration capability enabled, migration will
> not write to the migration stream any RAM block that had the
> shared=on flag on the qemu commandline.   So you should then be able
> to restart from the migration stream and existing RAM image.

So does it mean we can drop our vm-templating patches and move to using " x-ignore-shared-ram" on QEMU 4.0.

Today we only need two patches, which will come down to a single patch which would bring up closer to upstream QEMU 4.0 which would be ideal.
https://github.com/kata-containers/packaging/blob/master/qemu/patches/4.0.x/0001-9p-removing-coroutines-of-9p-to-increase-the-I-O-per.patch
https://github.com/kata-containers/packaging/blob/master/qemu/patches/4.0.x/0002-migration-add-capability-to-bypass-the-shared-memory.patch