[kata-dev] stale bot usage on Kata repositories

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 4 07:35:04 UTC 2019

eric.ernst at intel.com wrote:
> Kata-folk,
>
> A couple months ago I enabled stale bot [1] in the packaging repository,
> [2], and with the creation of the .github repository under
> kata-containers by James Hunt, this same configuration may be used with all the
> repositories.
>
> James and I were planning on enabling the stale-bot for the rest of the
> repositories, based on this.  Any concerns?  Thierry, this look okay to
> you? Any license concerns, [3]?

Re-posting my comment on the issue:

I don't see any issue with using Probot apps, except I guess that it
locks us in even deeper into GitHub (but that ship has sailed already).

The only potential issue I see is in the social function of the Stale
app. In previous projects I was involved in (including Ubuntu and
OpenStack), whether or not to autoclose issues has always been a hot topic!

While it is convenient for developers (and reduce the need to manually
review each), autoclosing generally appears as a user-hostile move, and
may result in overlooking real bugs. It's generally justified when the
rate of issue creation spirals out of control, but I'm not sure Kata has
hit that point yet?

Note that there is no issue with marking issues with a "stale" tag, it's
the action of having a bot closing issues automatically that is
debatable... and at least worth a discussion here before proceeding.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)