[kata-dev] Release cadence - propose to slow cadence?

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Thu Jul 25 07:33:24 UTC 2019

+1.

Once we have agreement, we need to record the new details in [1].

Cheers,

James

[1] -
https://github.com/kata-containers/documentation/blob/master/Stable-Branch-Strategy.md

Le jeu. 25 juil. 2019 à 07:35, Samuel Ortiz <sameo at linux.intel.com> a
écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 11:03:16PM +0000, Ernst, Eric wrote:
> > Hey ya’ll,
> >
> > Today, we are running on a time based release schedule, making a minor
> release every 6 weeks, with stable releases made ever other week (with
> possibility of faster stable releases if issues are identified).  This was
> necessary as the project started, but as Kata matures, this adds
> unnecessary burden on release process of project infra folks as well as a
> shorter window of support for the stable branches for user.
> >
> > I’d like to propose we slow the cadence, to every 3 weeks for stable and
> 12 weeks for major/minor. TBH, I just made that cadence up as a starting
> point and would like feedback, folks!
> >
> > WDYT?  Proposals/suggestions?
> The idea of spacing major releases out makes sense to me, yes. As long
> as we keep a fixed period release cadence, we're fine.
>
> Cheers,
> Samuel.

James
---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
<https://github.com/clearcontainers>
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.