[kata-dev] PullApprove future

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jan 9 15:14:35 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-08 17:16:44 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> The current pipeline triggers available for Zuul's GitHub connection
> driver are documented at
> https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/admin/drivers/github.html#trigger-configuration
> and the rest of the things you mentioned (validating commit
> messages, checking earlier PR comment contents) could likely be
> performed as lightweight (node-less) jobs run from one or more of
> those trigger events.
>
> I'll be the first to admit I have basically zero experience with
> GitHub-centric code review workflows, but I'll ask people in the
> Zuul community who use it in conjunction with GitHub whether they
> have any suggestions for checking some of those conditions you
> mentioned (particularly the "keyword matching for merge blocking"
> and "gathering ack's before merge").

To follow up, it appears organizations using Zuul in combination
with GitHub (standard or private Enterprise) are relying on
maintainers with "committer" access applying "labels" to trigger
merging of pull requests. There were also recommendations for branch
protection with required status, and setting a "codeowners" file
with required reviews for more fine-grained control. An example job
definition was shared for verifying that all pull request commit
messages include a signed-off-by footer too, on which the Ansible
AWX project is currently relying (sounds like it may wind up in the
Zuul standard library in the near future even). You can see the
brief conversation at:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23zuul/%23zuul.2019-01-08.log.html#t2019-01-08T18:46:40

Hope that helps!
--