[kata-dev] PullApprove future

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 8 16:42:28 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-08 16:27:29 +0000 (+0000), Whaley, Graham wrote:
[...]
> Whilst doing that I looked slightly deeper at probot, and indeed
> it does look like it has a number of features we would want to
> use. I’ve not looked into how it is configured/deployed – but
> presuming it needs a 24/7 machine, I’m sure we could either find
> one in our current CI system or discuss with the OSF infra folks
> deployment options.
>
> At a slightly higher level, in my mind I wonder if this is a
> feature that more OSF infra projects may like/require beyond just
> being used by Kata – and maybe that will swing where it is
> deployed and managed.
[...]

This is in fact a wildly popular feature of Zuul already for other
OSF projects. You might even say it's Zuul's defining feature (the
ability to interface with code review systems and merge changes
triggered by specific events and defined sets of conditions). Probot
sounds entirely redundant for the OpenDev infrastructure, and I
can't imagine investing time in running more than one "pull request
approver" engine, but I certainly don't speak for the rest of the
OpenDev infra team.

Probot also looks like it's GitHub-only, and all other OSF projects
besides Kata are using an open code review system (Gerrit). Keep in
mind that what's happening today with PullApprove could happen
tomorrow with GitHub. Free software needs free tools. </soapbox>
--
Jeremy Stanley