[kata-dev] PullApprove future

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jan 8 12:36:25 UTC 2019

Hi Kata-folk,

In addition to GitHub, Kata development relies on an external service,
PullApprove, in order to process PRs. This external service used to be
free-as-in-beer, but they recently decided[1] to change their terms of
service so that if "people who work on the repository get paid to do so,
then we need to get paid too". They are planning to flip the switch on
February 1, 2019.

Our read of their unclearly-specified conditions to apply for a free
plan concludes that we almost certainly would not qualify: despite the
project being open source and run by a non-profit Foundation, most of
the "people who work on the repository" get paid to do so.

We could of course comply with their reasonably-priced new terms (and
wait for the next bait-and-switch), but as an open source development
best practice it is generally better to reduce our dependency on such
external services, to avoid having the project be negatively affected by
the decisions of a third-party service provider.

Which is why I'm raising this thread, to tap the collective Kata mind
for solutions. In order of decreasing preference, we would find an
alternative solution that would

1- be open source, so that we could actually not depend on an additional
external service provider, or at least have the option to switch to
running it ourselves in case of sudden ToS changes

2- use built-in features of an external service we are already depending
on (GitHub)

3- use a free-as-in-beer external service provider that has already
published clear conditions for open source projects or projects run by
non-profit Foundations

Thoughts ?

[1] https://medium.com/dropseed/changes-to-our-free-plans-2660423c3f6

--