[kata-dev] Deprecation of bridged networking mode

Shinde, Archana M archana.m.shinde at intel.com
Fri Aug 9 17:07:20 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Kata today supports three modes of network setup : "tcfilter", "macvtap" and "bridged" mode, with tcfilter as the default.
tcfilter has proved to be much more functional than bridged mode when it comes to integration with network plugins. Given this, and in order to simplify the network setup codebase, we are planning to deprecate the bridged mode in our next release namely Kata 1.9.0 release.

We have a PR in progress to completely remove this feature:
https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/pull/1214

The plan is to merge this PR and completely get rid of bridged mode in Kata release 1.10 timeframe.

Please shout out if you see any reason for not deprecating bridged mode and have a blocker for not switching to the other modes.

Thanks,
Archana Shinde