[kata-dev] Resource management changes RFC

Ernst, Eric eric.ernst at intel.com
Sat Apr 13 22:17:01 UTC 2019

Hey virty-container-wizards,

A group of us spent a good amount of time over the last week looking at cgroups.  There are a handful of things which are either broken, an assumption, or just not-ideal in 1.6.

I put together a milestone, cgroup-sprint, and a project page to track some of these, available at [1].  I would really like to see these fixed before 1.7, which is scheduled for 5/15, with a ‘feature freeze’ scheduled for 5/1.

To aid in the discussion on some of the bigger changes (non-vCPU handling, for example), I put together a PR for an .md that describes the current state of resource management and proposed fixes for 1.7.  You can find the md at [2].   Please review and contribute comment on the PR, [3].

There’s a good amount of content there, including a pointer to a cgroup deep dive Manohar put together.  Let’s try to clarify opens and come to consensus through [3].  If needed, we can discuss in the next AC call (I recommend not 4/16, as I don’t think there’s enough review time for everyone).

Thanks,
Eric

[1] - https://github.com/orgs/kata-containers/projects/17
[2] -  https://github.com/egernst/documentation/blob/pod-overhead/design/resource-management.md