[kata-dev] About the future kata rootfs, qcow2 or nfs/vsock

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 15:41:23 UTC 2018

* Qixuan Wu (qixuan.wu at linux.alibaba.com) wrote:

> 于 2018/9/25 下午10:25, Dr. David Alan Gilbert 写道:
> > * Qixuan Wu (qixuan.wu at linux.alibaba.com) wrote:
> > >

> > > 于 2018/9/25 上午12:14, Dr. David Alan Gilbert 写道:

> > > My doubts are:
> > >
> > > 1. Is the Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) used in Guest os or Host os?
> >
> > It's between the guest OS and the host qemu+daemon. The host OS doesn't
> > see it.
> >
> > > 2. As my understand, FUSE is the mechanism used between user space and
> > > kernel space, not a protocal. So I cannot understand how create or
> > > unlink command be transfered from guest to host over virtio. So i did
> > > not understant "FUSE protocol over virtio".
> >
> > Ignoring this work; the way FUSE works is that:
> >
> >      1) application -> syscalls to kernel
> >
> >      2) kernel translates those to a message stream over an fd
> >
> >      3) A daemon running as a normal process under the same kernel
> >      reads commands from that fd and passes data back to the kernel
> >
> > now we swivel this around a bit:
> >
> >      a) Guest application -> syscalls to guest kernel
> >
> >      b) guest kernel translates those to a message stream - this time
> >         over a virtio command stream.
> >
> >      c) A daemon connected to qemu via vhost-user reads that
> >         command stream.
> >
> > so it's actually pretty much the same; but we've replaced
> > the fd used between the kernel and the daemon by a virtio transport.
> >
> I totally got it, thank you very much. So the daemon operate the
> normal file syscall to host kernel, right ?
>
> Seems that it's similiar with the guest syscall pass through to host
> kernel. Is there any security problem?

Note it's not a raw passthrough; just like 9p it's an abstraction
so the guest kernel builds the protocol packets and the daemon unpacks
them, checks them and executes the appropriate host call.
Because the host fs calls are done in a separate daemon you can apply
whatever security rules you like to that daemon to lock it down.

> > > 3. Did you test the performance compared to 9P?
> >
> > Only a little; at the moment our code is full of debug and we're
> > just trying to get it hang together to run benchmarks solidly.
> > It's looking promising though; there's a couple of things we need
> > to fix but it's getting there.
> >
> Got it. Hope to see the data. But seems the procedure is similiar with 9PFS.
> In the guest, you still need to implement a new Filesystem. And
> so the reason why new one is faster than 9P is because that metadata
> command is non-copy, am I right?

We don't need to implement the new FS; we just take the existing FUSE
filesystem code, and the existing virtio code and force them together.
Then we add some optimisations for metadata and caching.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK