[kata-dev] OBS packaging reorganization proposal

Marco Vedovati mvedovati at suse.com
Wed Sep 19 08:55:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

we at SUSE think it would be great to have Kata Containers officially
available in both openSUSE and SLE (enterprise) repositories. Our
longer term vision is to integrate Kata Containers into the SUSE
Container-as-a-Service platform as an additional container runtime. At
the moment we support docker and cri-o, and kata looks like a nice
addition :)

This email is to propose a reorganization of the OBS packaging and get
any feedback from you. I kicked off the discussion already with Carlos
and Eric and this is the outcome:

- Move all the packages on OBS from home:katacontainers to a new
official development project under devel:kubic [1] (e.g.
devel:kubic:katacontainers or whatever name you prefer).
"devel" projects are associated with higher trust and visibility than
"home" projects.

- You can keep the build targets you currently have for the other
distributions (Ubuntu, CentOS,
etc...)

- The relevant packages will be linked from devel:kubic:katacontainers
to devel:kubic ("linking" is a way to avoid duplication of package
sources), and from there we can set up the build targets to support all
of the SUSE distribution flavours.
This means that after a while [2], you can expect on any SUSE
distribution to just do something like `sudo zypper install "kata-*"`,
and have Kata Containers installed, without dealing with extra
repositories.

How does this sounds to you?

Thanks,
Marco