[kata-dev] packaging: OBS plans

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Thu Oct 11 09:46:24 UTC 2018

Thanks for putting this summary together Graham.

Some of the discussion around packaging the images has also found it's way
onto:

- https://github.com/kata-containers/packaging/issues/219

Cheers,

James

Le jeu. 11 oct. 2018 à 10:31, Whaley, Graham <graham.whaley at intel.com> a
écrit :

> Hi all,
>  We had a conf call yesterday to discuss our packaging plans with the OBS
> (SUSE) folks yesterday. I'll summarise here with a couple of Actions and
> the next steps.
>
> Attendees: GrahamW, JamesH, MarcoV, FlavioC, CarlosV, ArchanaS
>
> Marco put together a presentation, you can find at this link:
>
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lfkElJyOV9hfZY5TFzKuk5Thl_aMyh-xW5W8PQPlHmo/edit#slide=id.g43c0c246ee_0_157
>
> Fundamentally the plan is to:
>  - move from the current 'home' setup Kata uses to a 'devel' setup to
> enable supported packaging into openSUSE and SLES.
>     - the devel setup will be maintained by a combination of Kata
> community members and SUSE employees.
>  - rewrite the specs to be more in line with SUSE standards
>  - Add some method to handle building (or as Carlos' & James other
> email/Issue - possibly externally build and host) the current binary files
> - namely the rootfs image.
>     - a possibility here is to use the SUSE 'kiwi' tool.
>

> Question: Moving forwards, the Kata community will have to discuss/decide
> which rootfs image (that is, which distro is the rootfs base upon) to set
> as the default for the different distro packages. This may be influenced by:
>  - the ability to build some rootfs images from sources/RPMs/kiwi, and
> others possibly not (DEB or Clear Linux based images maybe)
>  - the 'natural choice' that maybe a distro package would use a rootfs
> based on the same distro (so SUSE would use a SUSE rootfs, Ubuntu an Ubuntu
> rootfs etc.)
>
> There was some discussion around archiving older versions of packages so
> users have an option to pin or unwind their installations. There are some
> methods that may be useable for that in OBS - but, it needs better
> definition and testing.
>
> There was some discussion around how for some distros (say Ubuntu as an
> example), we need to replace/over-ride the default golang version that
> comes with the distro to do a build of Kata. Presently we hold binaries in
> the repo for golang, and that is not acceptable in the official SUSE devel
> flows. There did seem to be a way to do this better (by adding a
> sub-package dependency).
>
> There was a question if OBS can auto-detect new releases (of Kata), and
> automatically build. I think the answer is no, it does not do auto change
> detect/build - but, you can have a 'service file' that wraps the spec file
> builds and injects version info, so you can have a one-step update/build
> process (edit the service file and kick off a build), which reduces the
> burden.
>
> Action: We'd like to ensure we do not duplicate any packaging efforts in
> parallel with other distros - that is, if another distro is already working
> on packaging Kata, then we do not want to invest too much effort on
> something that will then be replaced with a formal release from a distro.
> [...]

James
---
https://katacontainers.io/ | https://github.com/kata-containers
<https://github.com/clearcontainers>
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.