[kata-dev] Kata with AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV)

Larrew, Jesse Jesse.Larrew at amd.com
Wed Jun 20 15:14:23 UTC 2018

Hi James,

That’s very helpful. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jesse

From: Hunt, James O [mailto:james.o.hunt at intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:06 AM
To: Larrew, Jesse <Jesse.Larrew at amd.com>
Cc: Ernst, Eric <eric.ernst at intel.com>; Singh, Brijesh <brijesh.singh at amd.com>; Kaplan, David <David.Kaplan at amd.com>; Hollingsworth, Brent <brent.hollingsworth at amd.com>; Woller, Thomas <thomas.woller at amd.com>; kata-dev at lists.katacontainers.io
Subject: Re: [kata-dev] Kata with AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV)

Hi Jesse,

Hi Eric,

We’re still working on setting up the CI server, but we’ve decided to make the SEV patches available on our github repo so folks can kick the tires, so to speak.
\o/ - great!

The SEV patches require a new dependency in the vendor tree and updates a few others:

  1.  intel-go/cpuid (new dependency),
  2.  intel/govmm,
  3.  virtcontainers

To submit a PR to kata-runtime, should I first fork each of the above projects and submit PRs against them, then point to those PRs when I submit to kata? This is the first Go project that I’ve contributed to, so I’m not sure what the protocol is. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
For (1) and (2), yes, you'll need to click "fork" on https://github.com/intel-go/cpuid and https://github.com/intel/govmm, and then raise PRs on those two projects.

Once both those PRs have landed, since virtcontainers is now part of the Kata runtime you can then raise a PR on https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime for the changes you need to make to https://github.com/kata-containers/runtime/tree/master/virtcontainers.

As part of that change, you'll need to update the runtime vendoring to pull in (1) and (2):

- Add "github.com/intel-go/cpuid<http://github.com/intel-go/cpuid>" to Gopkg.toml to pull in your upstream changes.

  See https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/master/VENDORING.md#vendor-a-newly-imported-package

- Update the commit for "github.com/intel/govmm<http://github.com/intel/govmm>" in Gopkg.toml to pull in your upstream changes.

  See https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/master/VENDORING.md#update-a-vendored-package

Note that you can *probably* get away with updating the Gopkg.toml file once for both changes (meaning you only need to run "dep ensure" once) and having all the changes on a single commit.

HTH.

Cheers,

James

Sincerely,