[kata-dev] Improving isolation in Kata

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 07:14:21 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:25:53PM +0000, Boeuf, Sebastien wrote:
> Hi Stefan, Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the feedback here. I have just tried the virtfs-proxy-helper and it works
> like a charm, allowing me to run Qemu from a non root user. Now, I haven't tried
> this yet, but I wanted to know if you thought about any reason using virtio-net-pci
> would not work by using the vhost backend like this:
> -netdev tap,id=network-0,vhost=on,vhostfds=3:4:5:6:7:8:9:10,fds=11:12:13:14:15:16:17:18 -device driver=virtio-net-pci,netdev=network-0,mac=02:42:ac:11:00:02,mq=on,vectors=18

Yes, libvirt supports passing multiple FDs for vhost, and setting mq/vectors
properties.

> Same question about block devices. We're doing heavy uses of virtio-scsi in order
> to share a block device (our container rootfs) with the guest. Is it possible to run
> Qemu non root in this case ? Should I put the user running Qemu in the disk group
> so that Qemu can read/write to this block device ?

What happens is that the libvirtd daemon is running as root. When launching a
guest, it thus has privileges to change ownership of the block device so that
QEMU can access it while running as non-root. So there's no need to change
block device permissiosn or set group membership - libvirt will take care of
changing it for you.

> Last use case is VFIO for device passthrough. After we unbind the device from its
> driver on the host, should we change the ownership of the device created (something
> like /dev/vfio/X) after it has been bound to vfio-pci driver ?

Again, libvirt would take care of any permissions change that is required.

Regards,
Daniel