[kata-dev] Improving isolation in Kata

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 10:03:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 05:39:36PM +0800, Tao Peng wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:50:35AM +0800, Tao Peng wrote:

> >> libvirt-go does have that and runv is using libvirt-go
> >> (https://github.com/hyperhq/runv/tree/master/hypervisor/libvirt) for a
> >> long time. Last I checked, there are still a few missing pieces of
> >> libvirt though:
> >> 1. vsock -- runv only supports vsock through the qemu hypervisor
> >
> > Libvirt does support vsock now
> >
> Sorry I meant to say libvirt-go -- I only checked libvirt-go -- and
> vsock does not show up there yet,
> https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt-go/search?q=vsock&unscoped_q=vsock.
> Now that libvirt does support vsock, we only need to add the missing
> piece to libvirt-go.

There is nothing special needed by libvirt-go - it is simply an API binding
to libvirt and there are no custom APIs involved in vsock - it was simply a
new part of the XML schema which doesn't involve API changes.

There is a separate libvirt-go-xml package which maps the XML schemas into
Go structs, and that does have support for vsock

> >> 2. vm templating -- runv works around it by using a customized qemu wrapper
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're meaning by vm templating here ? As a conceptual design
> > policy, libvirt tends to focus on providing the mechanism, and leaves policy
> > upto the mgmt application to decide. What most people describe as "templating"
> > is a usage a policy decision around disk images. Libvirt has APIs for managing
> > and manipulating storage volumes, which can be used to implement templating
> > concepts. Offhand I can't think of a reason why it would require use of a
> > custom qemu wrapper.
> >
> This one is still WiP to get it merged by qemu upstream -- we want to
> allow qemu to do migration without copying shared memory. Basically a
> new migration capability "bypass-share-memory" is added before qemu
> starts migration. We use this capability to implement so-called vm
> templating feature in both runv and kata.

Ok, as & when QEMU merges that, it is something we could expose via
libvirt in some manner.

Regards,
Daniel