[kata-dev] Kata with AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV)

Castelino, Manohar R manohar.r.castelino at intel.com
Fri Feb 23 21:52:30 UTC 2018

Jesse,

> On EPYC, our IOMMU doesn't yet support SEV, so DMA to/from devices needs
> to be done using unencrypted pages. It was easy to implement this using the
> bounce buffers provided by SWIOTLB. As you guessed, a quick change to
> vring_use_dma_api() got virtio support working properly:

Clear Containers today supports direct device assignment via SRIOV.
This requires pre-allocation and pinning of VM memory.
Will this continue to work?

Also we have been working on reverse ballooning. i.e. free unused memory
from the VM back to the host. Is there is a way to get this to work with encrypted memory

For more details about the patches
https://gist.github.com/sboeuf/fc71f0218a81997251ee0d7668df2bd9

-manohar