[kata-dev] Volunteer for regular Kata status blog?

Hunt, James O james.o.hunt at intel.com
Fri Feb 23 10:02:14 UTC 2018

Hi Cameron,

> Greetings,
>
> I would love to contribute to this.

Thanks for offering to get involved!

> I'm not actively contributeing code to the kata development, but can
> happily do some blogging or documentation etc.. Do you have an example of
> what might need to be posted and where it would get aggregated from
> (github)?

In terms of what to post about, some thoughts...

# Sources of information

As a starting point, how about using the following for sources:

- Any interesting Slack/irc/mailing list discussions

- Details of a selection of the weeks PRs:

https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+org%3Akata-containers+created%3A2018-02-17..2018-02-24

  Clearly, we don't just want a list of PRs, so a sentence or two atleast
on any significant / interesting PRs landing would be good.
  You could potentially ask contributors to summarise what they did for a
particular feature / fix if it is particularly big / complex / unclear [1].

- Topic of the week

  You could pick one part of the system and explain what it is, how it
works, etc. A few examples:

    - What is the kata-agent / kata-proxy / kata-shim?
    - What is osbuilder?
    - How does docker use the runtime?
    - How is the overall system tested (static analysis, unit-tests, CI,
metrics, etc)?
    - How is documentation written+reviewed?
    - How does the project use pullapprove?
    - What are all those repositories for? (answer in the form of a very
basic "table of contents":
https://github.com/kata-containers/kata-containers/blob/master/README.md :)

- How to contribute to the project

  As stated in https://github.com/kata-containers/community#community, the
project welcomes all forms of contribution.
  For new contributors, the best thing to do is either add a comment to an
issue saying you'd like to work on it, or just asking on any of the
channels for ideas of easy places to start.
  In fact, we should look at making that process easier by encouraging
anyone to tag small/easy issues with the "bitesize" label I've just added
to all the repos.
  It's also worth pointing out that contributing can be as simple as
raising an issue! ;)

- New features / plans for the future / upcoming events showcasing Kata
Containers

  This could involve looking at newly opened feature issues, attending the
Architecture Committee and Working Committee meetings (or perusing the
meeting minutes) and asking on the channels.

# Use a wiki for draft summaries?

We could use one of the repos wikis [2] for draft posts. That way, lots of
folk could potentially work on the weekly summary over the course of the
week, before it gets posted. That would also give us a good "bus factor"
[3] ;)

# Other info

- It might be useful to add links at the end of each post with details of
how to contribute to the project:

https://github.com/kata-containers/community/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Cheers,

James.

---
[1] - This is actually an excellent way for the overall project to ensure
we're documenting our work clearly - if any of those PRs are ambiguous /
unclear, please do post comments to them asking for clarification (even if
the PRs are closed).
[2] - https://github.com/kata-containers/community/wiki might be a good
place to do that.
[3] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
>
> On 02/22/2018 06:33 PM, Anne Bertucio wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> In today’s Working Committee meeting, the idea of a weekly or bi-weekly
> status blog came up. This would be a regularly occurring, short post to
> help those who are watching Kata approach a 1.0 release but aren’t involved
> in the details stay up to date.
>
> You don’t have to be a seasoned writer; I’m happy to edit and polish your
> posts, we just need a volunteer to take charge on the drafts.
>
> The Kata homepage will have a blog page up in the next two weeks or less,
> which is where these posts would live.
>
> Any takers?
>
> Cheers,
> Anne Bertucio
> anne at openstack.org | irc: annabelleB

> --
> Cameron Seader
> Technology Strategist
> SUSEcs at suse.com
> (P)+1 208.572.0095 <(208)%20572-0095>
> (M)+1 208.420.2167 <(208)%20420-2167>

---
https://clearcontainers.github.io / https://katacontainers.io/
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3
1RJ.