[kata-dev] Kata with AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV)

Larrew, Jesse Jesse.Larrew at amd.com
Thu Feb 22 16:32:44 UTC 2018

Ah! Yes, live migration of encrypted guests is supported by the hardware. Qemu support is still being actively developed though. The details of migrating encrypted VMs are discussed in our Secure Encrypted Virtualization API [1]. Basically, the AMD Secure Processor re-encrypts and integrity-protects the guest memory into discrete "packets" that can be sent to the destination machine. The transport/integrity keys used for migration are ephemeral keys negotiated with the receiving machine using a Diffie-Hellman exchange.

Live migration is useful for VMs that need to be stateful. However, my impression of container use cases is that they are encouraged to be stateless. For stateless containers, it would most likely be quicker to simply throw away the container and start a new one on the destination machine. Do you have specific use cases that require the ability to migrate containers?

[1] Secure Encrypted Virtualization API v0.16:
https://support.amd.com/TechDocs/55766_SEV-KM%20API_Specification.pdf

Sincerely,
Jesse