[kata-dev] [Announce] virtio-fs released with Kata Containers support

Xu Wang xu at hyper.sh
Tue Dec 18 17:21:25 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018, 00:27 Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at redhat.com wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:07:32AM +0800, Tao Peng wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 3:25 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear Kata Containers Community,
> > > I'm delighted to announce the first release of virtio-fs, a new shared
> > > file system for virtual machines that is designed for container use
> > > cases, including shared volumes.
> >
> > One more question, is there plan to support hotplug a virtio-fs device
> > to the guest? Or is it already supported?
>
> Yes, hotplug is planned.  It's not tested yet but may already work at
> the QEMU level.
>
> How would you like to use hotplug at the Kata level?

With 9pfs, we configure a specified shared dir for virtfs and bind the
files/dirs we want to share in the specified one. And we can't turn it off
even if we have nothing to share in one pod, which may imply some security
risks. The reason behind the activity is that 9pfs doesn't support hotplug,
on the other hand, we hotplug the block devices.

Then if virtio-fs support hotplug, we may hotplug any dirs we want to share
with the guest instead of bind mount them to such a indirect places.

However, the bind mount operation should be much faster than a hotplug
attempt. We still need to make trade-off to use hotplug or keep the current
9p-like sharing configuration.