[kata-dev] [AC] Arch Committee Election: Q&A period open!

Ernst, Eric eric.ernst at intel.com
Wed Aug 29 17:54:06 UTC 2018

Anne,

I’ll have to piggy-back off of Wei’s excellent response and say “ready for production” – which is great because it is “the most important thing”, but actually covers a ton of actual tracks of development and processes.

  1.  We need to continue to move forward on stability.  When I say stability, I don’t necessarily mean “I did XYZ and then noticed process A was left behind.” While this is obviously critical, we need to focus on the development and release process and interfaces becoming stable.  Currently with so many APIs being added, we are forced to move “too fast” in our MINOR releases.  Getting to a more mature point will help slow this down, and become more understood/predictable for end-users.
  2.  We need to continue to influence the ecosystem to not just be compatible from an isolation solution standpoint, but to also allow for mechanisms to interact with containers through more VM native interfaces (see the ‘elightened CNI’ work being driven by Archana as an example, [1]).  In a production environment, we need to provide the hooks and tools for the end-user to be able to create an optimal configuration for both namespace based and VM isolated containers.
  3.  For something to be ready to be used in production, security is definitely a top concern.  While I point out that Kata provides a known level of trust that is expected from a virtual machine, we should all be aware that not all VMs are created equal.  There is work we can do to help provide an even better security profile for Kata.  We need to start focusing more here.

Thx,
Eric

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/cri-o/issues/1712, https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/cri-o/issues/1733