[kata-dev] Running Kata with cc-agent

Larrew, Jesse Jesse.Larrew at amd.com
Mon Apr 23 21:27:46 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I suspect that something in the gRPC implementation isn't playing well with SEV memory encryption. For debugging purposes, I'm trying to run a Kata system in the host with cc-agent in the guest image. I've performed the following steps:
1. Build a Clear Linux image using osbuilder.
2. Install cc-agent in usr/bin and clear-containers.{service,target} in lib/system/system.
3. Remove kata-containers.{service, target} from lib/system/system.
4. Update configuration.toml and change [agent.kata] to [agent.hyperstart].
5. Run a busybox container via docker as a test.

After step 5, I get the following error from docker:

$ sudo docker run --rm=true -ti --runtime sev-runtime busybox sh
docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: AgentURL cannot be empty: unknown.

Is there another change that I need to make in order to use a hyperstart agent in the guest?

Alternatively, is there a way to disable gRPC for the kata-proxy <-> kata-agent communication channel?

Sincerely,
Jesse