[kata-dev] Question: Kata Containers release and packaging process

Jose Carlos Venegas Munoz jose.carlos.venegas.munoz at intel.com
Fri Apr 6 18:34:32 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 11:18:06AM -0600, Cameron Seader wrote:
> On 04/06/2018 10:06 AM,  Venegas Munoz, Jose Carlos  wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I would like to raise some questions  about do an early 0.1 release for
> > Kata.
> >
> > Eric Cardona is working on provide some packaging tooling for Kata
> > Containers. The tools are an automation
> >
> > to build packages in OBS[1]. Seems that  OBS system does not allow to
> > access to internet, this is something
> >
> > that is needed today to build a Kata Containers image. The image builder
> > will pull some extra packages to
> >
> > build the rootfs and the agent to create it.
>
> Yes, you are right. This has been something that the OBS team has been
> looking into. Not sure if they have a resolution for this in mind yet. It
> sure would be nice though.
>
> What does it download during the build process? Can this be streamlined so
> that these packages are built in OBS in the future?
> Thanks,

The osbuilder scrips require at least the following options.
- base os (Fedora, Centos, Clearlinux Euleros, alpine are supported today).
- os version.
- agent version

Depending on the base os choosen. It will download the packages from that
OS. Then the kata agent[1] source is downloaded and installed as well.

The rootfs creation has the option to build the rootfs using docker
containres. So you can build a rootfs without the tools of the base os target.

As stating point we could start to package and ship an image based on
Alpine Linux.

>Can this be streamlined so  that these packages are built in OBS in the future?
I think is possible at some point move to use the packages of OS  where
the package is being building , but we need a lot more testing to ensure
all work as we expect. Also, we may need to add support for some popular
deb distros ( ubuntu, debian ? ).

As starting point IMO we can just start to ship an image based in a OS like
alpine. That will require internet access and docker (to use alpine
tooling).

[1] https://github.com/kata-containers/agent